[Reading-group] RTEMS related articles where I would be happy for some opinion/sense from people stronger than me in scheduling theory

Pavel Pisa pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
Fri Dec 2 01:35:15 CET 2016

Hello all

On Thursday 01 of December 2016 09:13:04 Michal Sojka wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01 2016, Pavel Pisa wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > there are three scheduling in real-time system
> > related articles and two proposed changes for operating system
> > which can have significant impact on RTEMS executive
> > behavior. And the flawless behavior of RTEMS is important
> > for future ESA and NASA missions for example.
> >
> > I do not have good feeling about the first proposed change
> > described in next article. I think that it mixes the things.
>
> Do I understand correctly that you propose to present one of the
> referenced papers next Friday (Dec 9)? If yes, either select which one
> you want to present or we can vote, which one we find interesting. Tell
> us what you prefer.

I can present some of the articles on December 9

I have not good feeling about proposal direction
in the first one article listed in previous e-mail.
So I for it I would be happy only to get some feedback
from somebody with more knowledge in the area
if suggestion makes sense. I think that it does not
worth public presentation and reading as example
of well written research article.

I think that next two articles are of more value
for public presentation

A Fully Preemptive Multiprocessor Semaphore Protocol
for Latency-Sensitive Real-Time Applications
Bjorn B. Brandenburg
Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS)
https://people.mpi-sws.org/~bbb/papers/pdf/ecrts13b.pdf

A Schedulability Compatible Multiprocessor Resource Sharing Protocol - MrsP
A. Burns and A.J. Wellings
Department of Computer Science,University of York,York, YO10 5GH, UK
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~burns/MRSPpaper.pdf

They both target related problems.
May it be that best option is to present and discuss
both in one round. I would study both for sure.

My main motivation is a discussion which helps me better
understand given theory and make opinion about strengths
and weaknesses which can be even used in future discussion
with other developers implementing this feature.

As people often ask me for consultation on technical
and implementation aspects of many of their works,
I would be happy if there people more strong in
the theory can help me to build feeling about
these articles from theoretical point of view.

Best wishes,

Pavel Pisa