[Reading-group] RTEMS related articles where I would be happy for some opinion/sense from people stronger than me in scheduling theory

Pavel Pisa pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
Thu Dec 1 03:55:44 CET 2016

Hello everybody,

there are three scheduling in real-time system
related articles and two proposed changes for operating system
which can have significant impact on RTEMS executive
behavior. And the flawless behavior of RTEMS is important
for future ESA and NASA missions for example.

I do not have good feeling about the first proposed change
described in next article. I think that it mixes the things.
It does not consider/validate options to select EDF and CBS
scheduler options implementation available in RTEMS
mainline (code developed at our department) and I am not
sure if burst of task to re-catch timing is good idea at all
and it is common solution in theory and RTOSes

Overrun Handling for Mixed-Criticality Support in RTEMS
Kuan-Hsun Chen, Georg von der Bruggen, and Jian-Jia Chen
Department of Informatics, TU Dortmund University, Germany
http://ls12-www.cs.tu-dortmund.de/daes/media/documents/publications/downloads/2016-wmc.pdf

Proposal for system changes
https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2795

The other change proposal is ticket
https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2556
Implement the O(m) Independence-Preserving Protocol (OMIP)

Related articles

A Fully Preemptive Multiprocessor Semaphore Protocol
for Latency-Sensitive Real-Time Applications
Bjorn B. Brandenburg
Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS)
https://people.mpi-sws.org/~bbb/papers/pdf/ecrts13b.pdf

A Schedulability Compatible Multiprocessor Resource Sharing Protocol - MrsP
A. Burns and A.J. Wellings
Department of Computer Science,University of York,York, YO10 5GH, UK
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~burns/MRSPpaper.pdf

I have no clue if it is change in good direction or not.
I would expect that it is good idea because of theory authors
and changes implementor but I like to be more convinced
by other people stronger in theory.

Best wishes,

Pavel Pisa